CAHS Canine Behaviour, Handling Skills & Instructor Certificate
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Completion of the CAHS PACE application form, interview, and program acceptance
- Ability to attend monthly Saturday afternoon workshops at the CAHS for duration of the program
- Applicants must be prepared to fully complete the hours, duties, quizzes and sessions as described in the Program Outline
- Achieve a minimum of 70% on all program exams including final skill and knowledge exams
- Complete program contract
- $4500 plus gst Program Fee (includes books and classroom materials)
Workshops (minimum total 48 hours) & Course Content:
Monthly workshops will set the stage for group discussions pertaining to learning theory, training techniques and training challenges. Workshops will include live demonstrations, example, and participation opportunities in various program topics including, but not limited to:
- Breed Development Stages
- Canine Body Language & Calming Signals
- Dog Evaluations and Assessments
- Dog Training Tools and Equipment Demonstrations
- The Power of Clicker Training & Brain Games
- Modifying Food Aggression & Resource Guarding Behaviours
- Canine Handling Sensitivities
- Dog to Dog Introductions
- Private Behaviour Consults
- Training a Species Other Than a Dog
- Classroom Management & Training Techniques
- Canine First Aid
- Tellington Touch Techniques
Course Content Includes:
- Breeds, Development Stages & Canine History & Evolution
- Canine Body Language
- Learning Theory
- Basic Dog Training
- Dogs in the Shelter Environment & Dog Assessments
- Dog to Dog Interactions
- Instructing Group Classes
- Common Behaviour Problems
- Complex Behaviour Problems
- Fear & Anxiety
- Reactivity & Aggression
- Private Training
- Canine Health & Nutrition
- Canine First Aid
Students are paired with a Certified Professional Dog Trainer as their personal mentor to practice, hone and test skills weekly! Click to Learn About Our Instructors.
Practical Hours (minimum total of 189 hours):
- Minimum 36 hours group class observation/assisting
- Minimum 6 hours observing Scaredy Dog Class
- Minimum of 6 hours observing Leash Lungers – for dog reactive dogs
- Minimum 24 hours group Co–teaching with a Certified Professional Dog Trainer
- Minimum 6 hours observing/assisting/participating in Private Behaviour Consults with a Certified Professional Dog Trainer
- Minimum 6 hours of dog training classes with your own dog
- Minimum 75 hours working with shelter dogs under the mentorship of a Certified Professional Dog Trainer (we provide a variety of breeds & behaviour issues)
- Minimum 4 hours participating in CAHS’s popular Canine Boot Camp handling and training a shelter dog
- Minimum 20 hours observation/assistance dog interactions and introductions
- Minimum 6 hours shelter dog evaluations and assessments
Note: Program graduates with a final overall grade of 90% plus will have the opportunity to earn their head instructor hours required by the Certification Council for Professional Trainers through the CAHS (some restrictions apply).
Program Fees and What’s Included:
- $4500 + gst, includes all program books, dvd’s and materials valued at approximately $1000. Program fees are non-refundable.
- Payment plans are available as follows;
- $4500 + gst at registration
- $2284 + gst at registration and at 6 months
- $1153 + gst at registration and at 3, 6 & 9 months
- A credit card is required with payment plans to be kept on file.
- Free – access to the CAHS extensive library of books on Dog and Cat Training and Behaviour, Dog Body Language and Communication, Pet Health and Nutrition, Rally O, Agility, Starting a Daycare, Humane Education, working with Blind, Deaf or Amputee Dogs, and much more.
- Free – enrollment in one of our Obedience Classes with your own dog.
- Discount – of 10% at Norm’s Nook – Saving Lives Pet Supplies while you are enrolled in the program.
Click Here to Complete Program Application.
If you have any questions please contact Tracy Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org.